Monday, October 6, 2008

October 6, 2008 - Two Month Travel Countdown

Two months from today we arrive in Boston to begin our 5 week holiday vacation - 3 weeks in the US and 2 weeks in Denmark. Although we usually don't like to wish away time, we are really excited that this break seems to be coming quickly (although during our vacation we hope that time will really slow down!).

On Friday we had our first "pregnancy panic" which I suppose at 4 1/2 months was bound to happen. I had a cramp in the right side of my stomach for several hours; it wasn't so painful, felt more like a runner's cramp, but it just didn't go away for so long that I got really nervous because I'd never felt anything like it before. My doctor asked us to come in right away when I called and she confirmed that everything was fine. She did some tests, checked my blood pressure, and checked the baby's heart rate determining that the baby was in no danger at all. She suspected that I had a urinary tract infection, which turned out to be not true. So after ruling out everything bad that it could be, she said I had probably overdone it at the gym or needed more rest. So this weekend was pretty relaxing for us; by Saturday morning my cramp was gone and we were very relieved that it turned out to be nothing. First time parents, you know!

Our friend Karen went back to Denmark yesterday and we will have no more visitors (that we know of right now) until Simba is born. Before she left, however, we took her on a treasure hunt. In our foyer there is sort of an empty nook to the left of our stairs and we wanted to put some life into it! So we went hunting for the perfect plant and, because we have such high ceilings, we ended up buying a 10 ft. 10 inch TREE. So when you walk into our house now it takes a second to figure out if you are in a house or the rain forest! It takes a bit of getting used to, but we are really happy with it. We are sure our housekeeper will be in for a shock when she arrives this morning :)

Otherwise, all is well in Nairobi. The "short rains" have come...it still surprises me a little that I live in a country with "short" and "long rains". But the rain is really good for Kenya because much of the country has been experience severe drought so rain means food, water, electricity (hydro power), employment, and money for the country. It is a very good thing...that is, until there is flooding in some places (not Nairobi, don't worry), which is a very bad thing. Kenya is very disaster-prone...can you tell?

LMW

No comments: