Tuesday, October 28, 2008

October 28, 2008 - Happy Diwali

Today is a major Indian holiday, Diwali, and because there are so, so, so many Indians in Nairobi it is a big holiday in these parts. Granted, I don't know that much about the holiday but from what I understand it is a "festival of lights" and has a lot to do with giving to other people as a result of goodness triumphing over evil (please excuse my extreme over simplification).

We live across the street from a really nice American family with whom we are becoming increasingly friendly. They have a 9-year-old son and a 7-year-old daughter who go to the International School of Kenya (the American school where I was almost a teacher). I am sure they learned a bit about the holiday at school today, and this evening they came ringing my door bell bearing gifts! On Diwali you are supposed to give sweets to others, so they brought me one rice krispies treat, and you are also supposed to give other gifts as well, so they brought me a bouquet of flowers!

It was the sweetest thing, and they did it because they knew that Kristoffer is traveling in Uganda this week and I am home alone (and probably because their mom sent them over...but still). I keep telling them that they are going to be my "mommy's helpers" when the baby comes and what good role models they will be!

So Happy Diwali to you...give someone a rice krispies treat today!
LMW

1 comment:

The Goldstein Family said...

Thanks for the Diwali shout out! We didn't do anything for the holiday yet, but we are going to a party next weekend with our Mixed Masala friends (i.e. parents of sorta Indian kids)! Oh, an alternate side of the street parking was suspended in NYC!