Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October 14, 2008 - Nesting

Well I am sure it will only continue and/or get worse, but this weekend Kristoffer and I really felt like we were getting ready for something! He did a bit more painting, we hung up some more pictures, I cleaned out our "office" (aka "room where things go to hide or die"), we rearranged furniture (more than once!) and bought a new rug for our downstairs living room. I think with just a few more weekends under our belt our house will be "done", except maybe for baby furniture.

We did look around at local baby stores to see what kind of things we could find here; the situation was looking pretty grim until we visited "Woolworths" (the British chain) with a large, high-quality baby section including some baby gear by the Graco company, which is very popular in America (a bouncy seat, a baby swing, a pack 'n play, etc.), and an organic baby clothing line (which Kristoffer loved). I had a really rough few minutes before we went to that store, but Woolworths saved the day! While we will still be looking to bring some things from home, it is a big relief that we know where we can get good stuff, even if it is a bit more expensive here. Phew! We have not yet found a baby crib that we feel confident is not a death-trap for our child, so we will continue that hunt and also consider having one made. We have not bought one baby item yet - no clothes or toys or anything (more out of not being quite ready to go there as opposed to being superstitious), but this was the first weekend I was really tempted and eager to shop!

I will be in my 20th week as of Thursday and we will have an ultrasound to mark the occasion, along with a doctor's appointment on Friday afternoonto go over the ultrasound an ask her a lot of questions! As I get bigger and our due date gets closer, there are definitely more things we want to know!

I am mostly feeling really well these days, although I would say there is usually one hour in the afternoon/evening where I am inexplicably grumpy, achy, and best left alone. Otherwise, we are growing and remaining overjoyed about all things baby. We are even training Simba to become a die-hard Red Sox fan, by watching post-season ALDS (before) and ALCS (now) games on ESPN during all hours of the early morning, and hoping that Simba gets a chance to hear the Red Sox win another World Series. The one thing I wish was that I could definitely feel him/her moving...these days I am still left wondering, "Is that Simba? Or is that my dinner?" when I feel something in my stomach. I really hope to be able to match a feeling with seeing Simba's movement at our ultrasound on Friday!

At our ultrasound, though, we are still committed to not finding out the sex of our baby even though this is the time they could tell us. Yesterday we had an amusing lunch with two colleagues (one Danish, one American) who tried really hard to convince us that finding out the baby's sex is better than not. We haven't quite figured out why they are so bothered by the element of surprise (especially since we are so eager for it!), but they were not successful in their attempts to change our minds. They will just have to wait along with us! March will certainly be here soon enough :)

LMW

No comments: