Yesterday I had a great day. First I had the wives club and it was the biggest turnout I'd ever seen at a meeting; there were even some younger faces in the crowd which was nice. We had a guest speaker on homeopathy (sadly there is no homeopathic cure for a breech baby!) and a nutritionist who was interesting as well. Then I had book club and for the first time since I have been trying to do book club (this is the fourth book I've tried!) I had more than one person come! There were five of us in total and we had an absolutely lovely conversation about how much we absolutely despised the book we read, "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold. Another woman picked a new book for next month, we set a date and a time for the meeting (which I may or may not make it too depending on the baby) and everyone there at least committed to reading the book. Finally, a success!
Then I had a lovely lunch with my new American friend, Courtney, who is pregnant and due in May. It was really nice to sit with another woman for 90 minutes and talk about nothing but being pregnant in Nairobi, all of the different medical research we have done here, pediatricians in Nairobi, etc. It was wonderful! And we both agreed that while you always have to be in your own advocate, even in America, in Kenya it is even more important to ask questions that you might take for granted at home. Even though our babies will be a few months apart, I truly hope that we remain mommy-friends because yesterday I felt like she was a really great outlet for me, and vice versa.
My doctor called me yesterday to see how the big treatment went the night before. She is hopeful that the moxa treatment will flip the baby too because she know how much I would prefer to delivery naturally. We moved my appointment from this afternoon to Monday to give the baby the weekend to flip and then next week she'll decide if I should have another ultrasound to monitor my levels of amniotic fluid, how the placenta is functioning (placenta's stop working as well the closer you are to term or beyond term, which is why overdue babies are induced usually 1-2 weeks after their due date), and to make sure that the placenta isn't preventing the baby from flipping or wrapped around the baby in any dangerous way.
Kristoffer did the moxa treatment on me last night and so our entire house smells like pot (the burning of this particular Chinese herb is freakishly similar to marijuana...I wonder what the neighbors think!). The baby didn't flip yet but did move around a lot while he was doing the treatment. We are very hopeful that in the next two days of the treatment s/he will figure out what to do.
The weather is really great in Kenya these days and Kristoffer and I are trying to enjoy our last days together as a couple without kids. It is really hard to do that though when pretty much all we talk about is our breech baby, labor and delivery!
LMW
1 comment:
Dear Lisa and Kristoffer
We have thought about it: Now we are sure that the birth will be on the 5th on March. There is something between sky and earth, and we think the date will be so because it is the day that Kristoffers granddad died.
We hope that the baby will turn and get ready for a natural birth, and that everything will went on well.
Many greetings
Kitte and Gert
Post a Comment