Wednesday, February 18, 2009

February 18, 2009 - Scary Movie

Last night our Lamaze class was a little bit traumatic, I have to admit.

My logical, sensible reaction to seeing a World Health Organization video of a live c-section birth is that tons of women (including many I know!) have the surgery which is considered to be relatively routine in the US and Denmark. I also know in my head that I won't see the surgery and will not be able to feel the surgery, should I need to have the surgery. However, on an emotional level: I did not like watching the video of the c-section at all, I thought it was so gross and scary, it made me more certain than I was before that I do not want to have a c-section, and really it is now very clear to me why I am not a doctor. I have had four surgeries in my life before and I was not awake for any of them...and apparently at least one of my last two heart surgeries was pretty gruesome. I just don't think regular, non-doctor people should see what is being done to their bodies in a surgery like that! Oh no! No offense to women reading this who have had c-sections...there is nothing wrong with them at all! I just don't want one!

So anyway, tonight is the night that we try the acupuncture for getting Simba to flip. I have recently given Simba two small lectures about doing the right thing and how s/he really doesn't want to come into the world "grounded" for disobeying us already. I mean, that would be a really sad baby if s/he couldn't play with his/her toys or hang out with the other babies on the block. I used my sternest teacher voice and then I also used my most loving maternal voice, but neither lecture seemed to work. Hopefully the needles will do the trick tonight and hopefully I get better at giving lectures before Simba is a teenager!

LMW

p.s. Last night wasn't all bad. We also watched a useful breast-feeding video, learned about our drug options and other medical procedures/interventions that can be used during labor and delivery, and took a tour of the maternity wing (the second tour for us). There were two brand new babies in the nursery last night and when we peaked our heads in Kristoffer and I both got SOOOO excited that soon we will have one of our own!

No comments: