Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4, 2008 - Happy 4th of July!

While it is not Independence Day here in Kenya (that holiday is in December) it is certainly on my mind that my friends and family at home will be attending BBQs and watching fireworks today! It was just a normal working day here. I went to a meeting this morning and walked for an hour on the treadmill at the gym this afternoon. In 2 more weeks I can start exercising for real and I am very much looking forward to that. I fear that I have started to become a bit of a blob in the last two months!

On Wednesday, our cleaning woman, Catherine, started her work with us. When she came to the house, she and I then went to store to buy all of the supplies she would need, along with a uniform for her. Catherine was very happy with all of this, but I will admit that it was a very strange experience for me. She then proceeded to give our big house a good scrub which it really needed! As her frequency increases (by the fall she will be coming 3 times a week) and she can help with hanging up laundry (I cannot reach our clothes lines without a chair) and ironing I will be even more grateful. I think this was a good solution for us instead of having a full time person living with us.

We have also made progress towards getting internet at our house. We have found a good deal through the UN with a corporate internet service provider that is just starting to provide residential internet access. It is signficantly cheaper than the company we were using before so we are really happy about it; now we are just waiting for the appointment date and time.

Tonight we're having dinner at our neighbor's house (an American guy whose wife and kids are in the US for the summer) with our other neighbors and friends, Mike and Caroline (I worked with Mike at UNICEF in February and March), which we hope to be a very fun time. Making friends is good for us!

Happy 4th of July and have a great weekend :)
LMW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This morning is the 6’Th of July, and we were wakened by cannon thunder from our neighbourtown. It wasn't your 1 years wedding day, they celebrated, but it is 159 years since the northern Danes won a battle against the southern Danes outside that town. But your wedding day was in my thoughts.

Congratulations to you for this first year. When you have managed all those changes through the year, I believe that your marriage can stand everything.

We often think of your splendid wedding and our great holiday in the states, and we are grateful, that you gave us the opportunity.

And – last but not least: Your blog is read with very big interest, it is an extraordinary documentation of the Kenyan society and country. Keep writing you have the skills.

Take good care of my sister and Hans.

Gert Pedersen