Kristoffer and I assured the women at By Grace that we would share their website and story with as many people as possible, and now that I have the website for you I will do so.
The website of the actual orphange is http://www.bygracecentre.org/. One thing that I didn't realize because it wasn't talked about so much when we were at the orphanage was that most, if not all, of the 250 children living at By Grace were orphaned by HIV/AIDS. 10% of Nairobi's population is infected with HIV/AIDS, which is higher than the country's average (6.1% of adults) because so many of the country's poorest people live in the slums of Nairobi where the disease is rampant.
Another interesting and useful website is http://www.brightfuturechildren.org/, an American organization that facilitates fundraising and volunteer efforts that benefit By Grace directly. The woman we met, Pixie, for example, is a volunteer through that organization. I know that many good causes are competing for your financial interests, but f you are interested in contributing to a project in Africa at all now or in the future, we can confirm that this is a worthwhile cause.
Kirsten and Hans leave us tomorrow and we will be in mourning for the week :) Yesterday we took them on a game drive through the Nairobi national park. We didn't see any big game like lions or rhinos (We never see them at the park! I am not convinced that there really are any!), but we did see the MOST interesting giraffe fight ever! It must be very rare to catch two giraffes in a physical fight, especially because they are animals with very good dispositions!, but we were just so lucky. They were pushing each other with their behinds and swinging their necks at each other's neck to try and inflict pain. We watched for a long time and it was totally fascinating. I am hoping to get our internet at home this week (do I sound like a broken record) and will try to post a video of the fight! Tonight we will go out to dinner for one last hurrah before Kirsten and Hans travel!
LMW
No comments:
Post a Comment