Today, I suspected we might be in for a different story - but it didn't go the way I thought. Grace has not been on a good nap schedule this week and is still waking up too early in the morning (between 5 and 5:30). She used to go back to sleep for awhile, and even did so on Tuesday morning until 6:45!!! But since then she won't go back to sleep so she is pretty tired in the mornings. This morning was no exception and she was yawning as we got to her classroom. Today was the first day she didn't want me to leave and was saying "No more school". When her teacher distracted her with play-doh I slipped out of the room and hoped for the best. As Kristoffer says, some days he doesn't want to go to work either so it is to be expected.
I arrived to pick her up at 12:15 - my first day not going in to her classroom to get her but meeting her outside with the rest of the kids. Out parades the littlest class in the school following behind Miss Mbata...one, two, three, four, five, six little boys...but no Grace! Seeing the look of panic on my face, her teacher quickly told me "She's asleep in the classroom!" Apparently Grace was so exhausted that about 15 minutes before lunch was to be served, she lay herself down and fell asleep on the classroom rug. Oh, sweet thing. I had anticipated some crying and expected a tantrum today...but an actual nap? Didn't see that coming.
Her teacher said that is common for the little ones in the first couple of weeks of school. I am sure it would help if we could get her to sleep later in the mornings and take a nap at the same time every day (as opposed to her current hodge podge schedule of napping whenever she just completely wipes out). Any suggestions on making this work would be appreciated!
Miss Mbata said Grace did cry a little when she realized I had left this morning, but was easily and happily distracted by the books from "library day" and picked out a special book to bring home (which, of course, was one of her favorites that we already have!). She said she had a lot of fun before passing out...so at least she didn't go to sleep because she was so miserable.
Kristoffer is headed to "Parent Day" at school this afternoon. Kids aren't allowed to go so Grace and I will hang out at home while Far checks out her school and meets her teacher for the first time. I saw a sneak peek of some artwork that she did for the occasion...I don't think anything is cuter than kids at this age!
LMW
No comments:
Post a Comment