Wednesday, May 27, 2009

May 27, 2009 - The United Nations of Moms

Yesterday Grace and I went to our new mom's group...or as I like to call it, "the United Nations of Moms": we were two Americans, two British, a German, an Italian, a New Zealander, and a woman from Singapore!  Babies ranged in age from 3 weeks to 7 months.  Grace slept through most of our get together at a nice outdoor cafe (as did many other babies), but I really loved talking to some other moms!  Half of us are first time moms and half are second time moms so it was a great balance of questions and experience.  We've decided to meet once a week (although I'll miss the next 5!) and will rotate at outdoor cafes and people's homes.  We will usually have a topic to discuss and will sometimes bring in experts (for example, someone to do a first aid training with us), and other times will just let the babies play and the mommies chat!  It is exactly the kind of group I have been hoping for so that Grace and I can make some new friends and so I don't feel all alone as a mom so far from home.  The whole thing makes me very happy and gives me something to look forward to when we come back in July!

Now we are starting to pack for our trip; we leave Nairobi late Friday night.  Who knew such a small baby would need to travel with SO MUCH STUFF!?!

LMW 

No comments: