Our Super Girl is 5 years old today. Kristoffer says this does not surprise
him: “She’s been with us 5 years! Of course she is 5!” …while I am more mystified that not
only has she been on the planet for 5 years but that WE have been PARENTS for
that long. There is just something
BIG about such a solid number…half a decade! Wow!
So she woke up this morning to our usual birthday party
scene: decorations and balloons
and presents!
A very popular gift that she has been wanting for a whole year was a dinosaur watch, courtesy of my parents. Last night she even came out of bed to ask me, "Are you sure I'm getting a watch...because you promised me when I turned 4 that I could have one on my fifth birthday!"
Legos were also a big hit...
And a new-to-her bike...hoping she properly learns to ride soon!
Early morning builders...
Breakfast candles :)
At school she got to raise the Danish flag and was sung to
her by her friends (many times throughout the day I was told!). She also chose to wear a new dress AND
her dragon cloak. I noticed how much more easily she could
raise the flag this year by herself, while last year she needed a lot of help.
(dare I ask...best picture ever?!)
I came back to school after lunch to bring her chosen treat
for her class: everyone was to
have one homemade chocolate chip cookie and one store-bought OREO. She has had this vision for weeks, and was very pleased that it
came true. She was cute
distributing cookies to her class.
(Noah was so exhausted from Grace's birthday that he did not even make it to dessert!)
She also had (and also missed a few - sorry!!!) Skype/Facetime calls
with family members around the world. When she went to bed she said she was HAPPY (also it’s her
second night sleeping in bunk beds with Noah in their “new” shared bedroom…more
on that soon) and she LOVES BEING FIVE!
So all in all, a great day!
Now we are just gearing up for her dragon birthday party on
Saturday, and then Mama will be ready to start taking it easy (also more on
that soon).
I am impressed with how much she has changed and grown in
the last year. There are so many
things about her that we love, it is hard to track them all. But mostly I love that she is smart and
funny, and is uniquely herself – loving dragons and dinosaurs and butterflies
and Legos (that Mama wishes weren’t so girly) all at the same time. I respect that Grace is quite in tune to other people's feelings and sensitivities (especially Noah's, actually), that she is a "welcomer" around new people, and that she is really learning to learn from her mistakes. She is a really big girl now, and we feel so much joy from her and because of her, everyday. She is our Amazing Grace – 5 years old!
Happy Birthday, Grace!
Love, Mama






















No comments:
Post a Comment