Her celiac test results, however, did not give us any news. It turns out that Grace has a deficiency for one of her immune system's antibodies and because of that deficiency the test was invalid. But now that we know she has this deficiency they could do another test which takes into account her missing antibodies and will give us the true answer. I have been told that people with celiac disease are more likely to be missing these antibodies AND Grace did gain more weight on her gluten-free diet...but neither can tell us for sure if she is gluten-intolerant or not. So we're keeping her on the diet (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!) and waiting a few more weeks to find out. We are also going to meet with a dietician here to try and improve her diet and eating habits. Finally, we have to find a way to wean Grace from nursing because as of right now she wants to do nothing else and won't drink anything else. This could be contributing to her not eating enough solid food. It's going to be a busy month for us, but we are encouraged to be on the right path!
Keep the weight-gain thoughts coming our way, and if you have advice to wean a particularly stubborn and addicted nursing 13-month old, please pass it on!
LMW
3 comments:
keep me posted on the weaning too. brady's on morning and night feedings still. he hates whole milk. our doc said to just continue feeding him yogurt and cheese etc. But I feel like he's not drinking the milk because he's holding out for the "real thing" in the morning and at night. And my tape measure was apparently off when I measured him last month! He had his 1yr checkup today and he's at 22lbs (between 25-50th percentile) and 30.5 inches (between 50-75th percentile). He only gained one pound since his 9mo checkup. I know I need to wean him but the thought makes me so sad!!! I'm SO glad to hear about Grace's weight gain! That's fantastic news!!!
Hi! So I thought I would try to weigh in...Xave has just weaned. I went with the don't offer, don't refuse method. Dropping the middle feedings were the easiest...he is often busy anyway, and it is easier ot keep him busy. He never took a bottle really well, so I didn't replace feedings with milk, rather just kept offering milk/food. I also started making sure he had snacks after both naps. He did always like water from a sippy, but was not as excited about milk. I just kept putting it on his tray and just now (after a month) he is finally drinking more and more each day. I don't know if any of this helps and feel free to FB if I can be of more help - but I know it is definitely a process...took us about a month and half to be fully done!
Wish I could help you with the weaning advice, but the boys were off the breast milk much earlier in my case, and I'm sure it won't be easy, but this too will pass. . . I still think William is at the bottom of the weight percentiles for his age and yet I know he is still strong and athletic, so don't worry about Grace. She looks wonderful and so do you guys.
Thanks for inspiring us with your blog and commenting on our Japan adventures!
Hope to see you in May. . post your travel schedule as soon as you know it! Miss and love ya!
Post a Comment