Hi there! I realized today that I haven't blogged since my "caning in Nairobi" tirade and that wasn't a very nice way to leave you. The update on that is that some groups have spoken out passionately against it (thank you very much) but the Ministry of Education is still remaining silent on the change in policy. Silence on such an issue is never good.
Work is really busy for Kristoffer these days. He has the possibility of travelling to South Africa and Uganda in upcoming months for different conferences, both which would be very good experiences for him (and they will certainly look good on the old resume too). We are hoping that they work out. Because of rising food and oil prices, as well as food shortages here in Kenya, his job is a bit stressful these days. WFP's budget is essentially the same size, but the money is buying a lot less than it used to - especially factoring in enormous transport costs. So he is basically trying to push their money as far as it can go in order to feed as many children as possible. Not an easy task.
Work for me is picking up a bit. At least I am getting paid now! One of the things I deal with is constantly being in meetings with humanitarian stakeholders who are talking about the "reality on the ground" for displaced people in Kenya, which even at this distance from the post election violence is really not good...and then at the same time I attend meetings with high level government officials who say that the situation on the ground is improving, people are happy and getting back to their lives, and the government is doing a great job facilitating the resettlement. There always seem to be a conflict between the truth and the perception that government would like people to have. Of course we (UNICEF) are worried about the displaced children, a large and surprising percentage of whom are separated from their guardians and participating in risky behaviors or have become the victims of various crimes against them, and the atrocious conditions they are living under right now. My job is not glamorous or high profile, but I keep track of a lot of information and hopefully I am helping in a small way.
We had some American visitors this week! Two of my dearest high school teachers with whom I keep in touch - Craig Simpson and Kathy Cook of Andover High School fame - have friends from Sante Fe, New Mexico who were coming here for a 2 week safari. I had been updating them on security in the country earlier in the year, and so we got together for a lovely dinner when they stopped over in Nairobi before their safari began. It was really nice to meet new people with whom we have a friendly connection and to share a bit of our knowledge of this country with them before their big adventure. Thanks to Craig and Kathy for putting us in touch!
Since my last blog I also had a birthday (yesterday)! 27 was certainly interesting for me as a newlywed with two big moves, two new jobs, and two heart surgeries! I would say it was an eventful year indeed and look forward to seeing if 28 turns out to be as exciting!
LMW
p.s. The installation of internet at home has begun...but technical difficulties abound so it is not quite working yet. I promise more pictures (and maybe a working slideshow!) as soon as we have the capabilities. Plus we will look forward to some conversations on Skype as soon as possible!
No comments:
Post a Comment