Saturday, January 28, 2012

January 27, 2012 - Sleeping Beauty (or Foodie)

Last night was a historic night in our family.  Noah slept through the night FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER.  7:45 pm to 6:35 am.  That is almost 11 hours, which he has never been even close to before.  


I know we've been a little bit out of touch lately.  Mostly I'm just too unhappy with our lack of official news about our future and so I haven't been online too much (I won't even tell you how many emails are waiting to be answered in my usually immaculate inbox) I will try to catch you up on Noah's news right now.

On January 11th, Noah had surgery to remove his adenoids.  It was a very routine and brief procedure that went very well.  Everyone was fascinated to learn about our life in Africa (I think they heard there was an African family in for surgery...and then they saw US and...well...maybe they were a bit disappointed?) and we were beyond pleased with the care we all received from hospital staff, doctors and especially nurses.  Children's Hospital Boston is the best in the world for a reason.

Noah looked like this before his adenoids came out:

And like this after his adenoids came out:

He was in the hospital for a little over 24 hours.  The only thing that ended up being slightly complicated was that he had a nasty stomach bug before the surgery and continued to have it afterwards.  This means that they kept him quarantined from other patients, and so we had a private room in the hospital.  It also means that even as they were discharging us from the hospital, he was still vomiting and having diarrhea!  YUCKO!  From start to finish he had it for 8 days (other members of my family also got this was violent and nasty...luckily, Kristoffer, Grace, and I were theory is that we have some serious antibodies and/or parasites from Kenya that fought off this American bug) and we felt really bad for him.  The bug did not interfere with the surgery or his recovery from the surgery though.

We were told that it would take 2 weeks for him to be officially recovered and for us to necessarily notice an improvement.  For the first couple of days he still snored and was not sleeping any better (due to the virus? post-op pain? habit?).  He also had a horrible, horrible, horrible stench coming from his mouth and nose. But everything started to improve within a few days and once that stomach bug went away.

He started doing longer stretches of sleep and Kristoffer was usually able to get him back to sleep without him nursing from me.  He also started eating without choking for the first time in his life.  He is now self-feeding all kinds of food with no problem at all, whereas before he was choking on absolutely everything - sometimes even smooth food!  So, we've been really happy about the better eating and better sleeping.  We felt comfortable training him to put himself to sleep without nursing now that we know he can breath well (remember, before up to 70% of his breathing was obstructed).  It took three nights of him crying a bit before he started putting himself to sleep with no problem at all (at bed AND for both of his daytime naps...seriously, this is unbelievable!). 

Then came the true gift.  Last night, 2 weeks and one day after his surgery (at the ripe old age of 340 days!) he went to sleep at night and woke up in the morning with nothing but (what I assume were) sweet dreams in between.  A M A Z I N G.

And so begins a new life for us.  Of course this doesn't mean that he will sleep that well every night for the rest of his life or anything...but it does mean that he will be able to rest and grow so much better than before.  His sleeping coupled with his new ability to eat are a recipe for a healthy boy!  

I know I am biased, but Noah is just the sweetest, most charming little guy I've ever known.  He is so happy - always smiling, laughing.  Curious beyond belief and getting into everything with a glimmer in his eyes.  His favorite toy after all his Christmas and birthday gifts is the remote control to my parents' TV.  He is obsessed with it!  He is an explorer.  I suspect in the near future he will be an instigator with Grace.  All he does now is sleep, eat and play.  He rarely cries.  He rarely fusses (except now when he wants more food!).  His sounds are getting more and more expressive.  He hates to sit still (oh, how I dread our next plane rides).  He can take steps on his own but is not yet walking.  His super-crawling is just too fast! 

Having that surgery was the best thing to happen to him and I think us too!  We will all be so much happier and more rested as we head into the next chapter of our lives.  

More on that soon.  I promise.
For now, I am off to get a good, full, wonderful night's sleep.


Anonymous said...

Ya Noah! :) Keep it up.
Miss you guys,
Miriam and the tribe

sucurlyj said...

Yay!!! I am so excited everything went smoothly! Love u!!!!