Thursday, December 31, 2015

December 31, 2015 - More Like Yoda

As we close out 2015, let's evaluate my resolutions from last year.  They were the following:

DO MORE:  
  • blogging: I actually blogged even LESS in 2015! Eek! Something about sleep deprivation and 3 busy kids.  Sadly, I'm just not good at blogging anymore. 
  • sleeping: Aya worked against me on this one.  It is only in the last two months that I have started to sometimes get more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep at night!
  • exercising: Towards the end of the year I did find an exercise program that I like and hope to become more consistent at doing it in 2016.  In general, I wish we lived somewhere where I felt safe to walk outside at any time because when I lived in NYC / DC that was a huge part of my physical fitness.  
  • problem solving:  I think this one is a draw. I think I problem-solved just fine but maybe not amazingly.  As in, we still have a toddler who doesn't sleep through the night so I certainly didn't figure that one out!
BE MORE: 
  • patient: I was a little bit more patient (with my children), but this area still needs improvement.
  • productive:  Um...no.
  • kind:  I hope so.
  • "in the moment":  I did not improve nearly enough in this area.  Must try harder.  Although Yoda says, "Try not.  Do or do not.  There is no try."  So I guess this year, "More like Yoda, I must become."
DO LESS:  
  • complaining: Um, let's give this one a re-do as well.
  • time-wasting: given that I was not very productive in 2015, I guess this was not successful.
  • internet-ing: a slight improvement (as evidenced by my lack of blogging) this year.
BE LESS: 
  • tired: "That's a negative, Ghost Rider."  Here's hoping 2016 is the year! 
  • far away from our families: Nope.  Not this year.  
  • whiny: Let's go with this...yes, I am less whiny than I used to be (because I had to improve somewhere, right!?).
  • distracted: Well, if I really think about I would say that I...oh look at that cute puppy...
Overall, I still really like my "resolutions", or challenges, from last year and think I'll stick with them again this year.  With my super silly family (see below) by my side, I should be set up for success!  I always want to be a better mother, wife, friend, sister, and daughter than I am...but I think this year maybe that will start with being a better self.  I am not known for making time for myself and perhaps this is where I have been going wrong all these years. In 2016, I will aim to be kind and generous to (and forgiving of) ME this year and hope that trickles down to those I love.  Something about putting on the oxygen mask before helping those around you...

The real news of today is that we were woken up at 2:30 am with the sad news that Kristoffer's Team Assistant at work (more than a secretary) died unexpectedly last night.  She was 39 years old and had a heart attack that she did not survive.  He had a great working relationship with her and will miss her very much.  It is very difficult news on a day like today, when we are naturally a bit more reflective of the past and hopeful for the future.  We are reminded not to take our lives or our loved ones for granted.  We should live each day as if it were a new year - with all the hope and resolve and joy we can bring to it.  In honor of her, that's what I will try to do.

I wish everyone still hanging on to this blog - although I realize you might be down to your last finger holding on (thank you for that!) - a very happy and healthy new year full of the things that will make you the best you!

Happy New Year!
LMW

Christmas Card Outtakes... 
(the original idea was to photograph a snowball fight...in the absence of a professional photographer, we opted for the timer on our camera but never quite got one that showed all of our faces at the same time)















 (This one below was almost it!)





The Finalists...
(we gave up on the snowball fight and opted for my photographer friend's advice to give everyone an assigned spot and then run into it while the timer went...sort of like a game to get everyone laughing)

And, this year's winner...
(big thanks to Omar Gonzalaz Photography for the advice and touch ups!)

No comments: