Monday, November 16, 2015

November 16, 2015 - This Too Shall Pass

I find it hard to blog when life feels a bit depressing.  We haven't been getting much sleep lately.  Aya got 5 new teeth in one week and that is causing her to be awake for HOURS in the middle of every night.  At least we think that is the cause (Good Lord, please don't tell me there is something else going on...because I have TRIED to figure it out and I am otherwise stumped!).  I guess I'll let you know if/when she starts sleeping better.  No, not if...of course she will start sleeping better. Someday.  And the "better sleeping" she did give us was so short-lived that it's not like we were ever totally used to a good night's sleep.  But we were sufficiently teased, that's for sure.

Anyway, on top of being very, very, very tired from not sleeping much at night, I've been working a lot lately and, like all other parents, juggling the different needs (social, emotional, academic, etc) of three kids at different stages in their lives.  Sometimes it is hard to feel that I am/we are doing anything well when it comes to our kids!  

Noah needs more focus at home on his articulation issues.  Grace needs more help focusing on reading.  And math concepts.  Is Aya bored?  We must be letting them play too much iPad. Shouldn't they be biking more/better by now?  Why doesn't he want to learn to swim?  How damaged will she be if I let her watch more Elmo songs on youtube?  Why is she "talking back" so much?  Where are these temper tantrums coming from?  

It never ends! And I know, I know.  This is what we signed up!  And I love them!  And love "it" (much of the time).  But man.  No sleep at home, and the world around us seems to be falling apart.  I almost dread checking the news when I wake up in the morning to find what new atrocity has happened when I was supposed to be sleeping.  Who is killing whom?  Who does the media want me to hate today?  

ACK!  See what I mean? It's hard to blog when life has me down in the dumps. 

Maybe next week?  I'm sure that, as they say, this too shall pass.
LMW

1 comment:

Andrea Gavin said...

I feel you. This fall has been particularly exhausting. Literally in our house of transition/no sleep and figuratively in the world. Hoping we'll all turn a corner soon!