Monday, October 27, 2014

October 27, 2014 - Half-Hearted Halloween

This year, we aren't doing so well in the Halloween department.  The past two years I have planned or helped plan a trick-or-treat event for the kids at their preschool, but this year I'm basically too tired to do it.  And you can't really trick-or-treat here because of security (lots of gates and compound walls and guard dogs!).  

Instead we went to a children's Halloween party this past Saturday and plan to go to another one this coming Saturday.  No official trick-or-treating, but at least the chance to dress up. 

Noah took it much more seriously than Grace did this year.  He was VERY into his pirate costume :)  She just wanted to wear her dragon cloak and, honestly, it's super hot here these days so very involved costumes are a bit tough.  There were no kids that she knew at the party we went to so we think that dampened her spirits...perhaps next weekend's festivities will be more fun with her.  

I tried with Aya - admittedly there was no advanced planning before the day of this party - but our baby costumes are super heavy and hot (remember Grace and Noah as giraffes for their first Halloweens?).  The coolest one - a little dragon which was Noah's in the past - was still too hot for her, so she did not really wear it in the end. Someday, I really hope we will be in America for Halloween just so we can make it a big deal and they can really experience the crazy spirit of the event.  That is something to look forward to.  In the meantime, here was our meager attempt...thank goodness for Noah's enthusiasm!









(at least she perked up a bit once we took her out of the dragon clothes!)
 LMW

3 comments:

Naomi Brown said...

Hello,
I'm moving to Dar in February next year from London with my husband and 2 kids and stumbled across your blog looking for pre-school for my youngest!
We hoping to get our eldest Isaac into IST (he's 7), but want to wait another 6 months for Noah (aged 3) because it will all be a bit too much for him! I wondered whether there are any playgroups or pre-schools that you could recommend, either for me to go along with him, or for a few mornings a week. I'm just getting my head around the move and want to have a few things lined up for Noah and I to do in the day so I don't feel too isolated. If you can help at all please let me know. Thanks, Naomi

The Welsien Family said...

Hi Naomi - happy to help. I need an email address to write you back though! Thanks, Lisa

Naomi Brown said...

Sorry Lisa, I was over excited at finding someone with a few similarities!!! It's Naomi.brown@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks!