Saturday, December 7, 2013

December 7, 2013 - Email Hackers


Have you ever received an email from a Nigerian hacker – where he acts like he knows you and is somewhere having a big emergency and needs you to send him money ASAP?  Or the email comes from a person you know whose account has been hacked and your “friend” is asking for immediate financial help!  Quick!  Get to a Western Union!

Well, we had that happen once to me when we lived in Nairobi (from the email of a person we knew there) and we decided to have a little fun with the hacker.  So I played along with it, getting as much information as I could, and eventually said that I too was in London and would be happy to meet up to provide the money “she needed”.  Of course the hacker eventually figured it out when I wrote:  I know you’re a hacker and you’re not getting any money from me!  But this week Kristoffer found himself in the same situation and also had a little fun.

If you’re interested in playing along, here is a guide for pranking your hacker:

Hacker:
Did you get my previous email? its very urgent please.  
Kind regards
Timothy

Kristoffer:
I didn't get your email. 

Hacker:
Please I need your urgent assistance, am currently in Manila city, Philippines, for a short vacation and my bank is having some network problems, can't transfer out here. am stranded and confuse right now, please can I get 2,500 USD from you or whatever amount if not all, I will refund you the money in few days as soon as I return, please get back to me if you can.
Kind regards
Timothy

Kristoffer:
But I thought you didn’t like east Asia? How did you go there? Was it to watch the golf tournament I know you like?
Kris

Hacker:
Thanks for your prompt response so sorry i never mention about my trip to you, i will explain better to when i return in few days all need now is to sort my bills here, please let me know if you can raised me some funds here, so i can forward you m detai, i will pay you back as soon as i return. hope to read from you soon.

Kind regards
Timothy

Kristoffer:
But already I owe you even more. Should I just send you the whole amount? 

Hacker:
Thanks, please kindly help me have the money sent by Western Union Money Transfer.to my name and the Location below.

Name: Timothy Kosgey
Location:  35 Newport Boulevard, Manila city, Philippines
Country: Philippines

Send me the details of the transfer as soon as you are done.
Kind regards
Timothy

Kristoffer:
Shouldn't I send it to your Bank Account instead? I spoke to my bank about the transfer and they advised me to transfer the funds instead. Especially when it is above USD 10,000! What do you think?

It's funny that you now sign with your full name, I kind of like that better!

Just hold on, the transfer can happen very quickly!
Best,
K

But then our friend Timothy must have realized he was being played (I think Kristoffer pushed it too far with the 10k).  Also, at some point the more emails they send the more information you have to report them to the server, increasing their chances of being “caught” (whatever that means).

We found this interaction to be very amusing!
LMW

1 comment:

mamamgeni.com said...

Have you ever read the book "I Do Not Come to You by Chance" by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani? It's a fascinating story about a straight-and-narrow Nigerian who falls on tough luck and winds up a 419 scammer. You learn a lot about the inner workings of those scams!