Thursday, February 14, 2013

February 14, 2013 - Happy Valentine's Day (Final Day of CHD Awareness Week)

Today is not only Valentine's Day, but also the final day of Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week. The week has been emotional: starting on the 4 month anniversary of Kyle's death...peaking on the day he would have been 5 months old...and now ending on "the day" of celebrating love.  

I know he was so young, but when I think about him now I often pray that in those days when he was very, very sick he had some way of knowing or feeling that he was not alone...that so many people near and far around the world were praying for him...loving him...trying to give strength to his fight. 

While I give thanks for the healthy lives of my own children today, I can't stop thinking of this poem from Kyle's funeral program.  And I hope he knows that especially in the moment when he passed away, he was not alone then either.

In tears we saw you sinking,
And watched you pass away.
Our hearts were almost broken,
We wanted you to stay.
But when we saw you sleeping,
So peaceful, free from pain,
How could we wish you back with us,
To suffer that again.
It broke our hearts to lose you,
But you did not go alone,
For part of us went with you,
The day God took you home.

To conclude my CHD series with some hope, please read this story and watch this clip of a young hero: Hunter Paulin, who lives with CHD and ran in the football for the Superbowl this year.  With more widespread screening, awareness and research, I pray that more babies born with CHD have the opportunities that Hunter has had to live an active, healthy, and happy life.

In loving memory of sweet Kyle Michael
September 10, 2012 - October 7, 2012
LMW

1 comment:

Claire said...

Thank you for the week of beautiful, inspiring and educational posts. I think of your family often and pray that time will help to ease the intensity of your grief. Kyle's short life has touched so many. Maybe that was his purpose. I wish it could have been a lifetime longer, but his memory will live on with all who loved him and in all who were touched by his story. Hugs to you and your family!