Thursday, November 22, 2012

November 22, 2012 - Thanks, but no thanks

I usually write a Thanksgiving blog about what I am thankful for: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.

But this year I am not going to do that.

The thing is, on a daily basis I am a pretty thankful/grateful/appreciative person...or at least I try to be.  I pray. I write thank-you notes. I work hard to keep in touch with people of importance from my present and past (a few years ago I had the pleasure of a reunion with my nursery school teacher Mrs. Corkadel and had the chance to thank her for giving me such positive first memories of my education.  And thank you for that reunion, Mrs. Duffy!). I keep memories.  I try to teach my children to also have these qualities.

In fact, last year on my blog someone left this comment (and thank you to her for that!):

-------

Wyndago said...
I never met anyone so thankful and I have not even met you.

You have used the word "thanks" (includes the words thankful, thank but excludes the word thanksgiving) 20 times and the word "grateful" twice in your last 11 posts.

Great blog. All beautiful.

---------


But this year is different.  

We aren't with any extended family this year (we didn't celebrate the holiday last year but at least were with family in Denmark!). We were not invited to any holiday celebrations with other Americans today. I went to work, the kids went to school. I am also married to a man for whom this day is not a traditional holiday and who is both a vegetarian and also currently in Uganda.

I am also feeling especially not-thankful that Kyle died and that my sister and her husband have to deal with this holiday without their son.

I do not begrudge anyone else a wonderful day.  But even though there are many things for which I am thankful, I will save my thanksgiving for another day.

LMW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you and am very, very thankful for you!
Christine

Barbara Snow said...

Your feelings are totally understandable. May the time you spend with your families comfort you this year.
Barb in Minnesota