Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October 3, 2012 - DIY Counting Wall

I don't know if it is because I have been in a lot of classrooms lately, or if it is because I have needed a small project to distract from my homesickness, or if it just because my kids love to count!  But I decided to make a "Counting Wall" at our house (*note that I am NOT normally a DIY-er at all but really, would there be any other kind of counting wall besides a "DIY"?) and I thought I'd share how it turned out.  Grace has been able to count well in English and Danish for ages, but Noah is learning (and obviously he is just learning to talk as well) and Rose is also trying to teach both of them a lot more Kiswahili.  So I wanted the Counting Wall to go from one to ten in all three languages, plus include a picture (doggies!) and the actual numbers.  

I used the wall in our upstairs hallway.  I was thinking of having the numbers go up the stairs, but I was afraid that would turn into playing on the stairs which is really not to be encouraged in this house (Noah is such a risk-taker/dare-devil!).  It was a big blank wall that now has a little color and a little character to it. 

This is how it turned out:

(yes, the wall is curved...almost every room in our house has one "curved corner"...but that kind of adds to the look, right?)

(to the left of the wall is Noah's room; across from the wall is Grace's room - I am standing in her room to take this picture)
(UP CLOSE)



It was easy to do:  I typed up the text, printed it out along with all the doggy pictures, cut out the white paper pieces, glued them onto normal size colorful cardstock, took the pages to a place to be laminated (really miss my old lamintor!), cut the bigger cards out and hung them up with mounting tape last night while the kids were sleeping.  I could have done it more perfectly by measuring and/or using a paper cutter.  But alas, I was pretty much looking for speedy gratification on this one.  

They were VERY excited when they woke up this morning.  Grace was going through them by row and then by column.  Noah was just pointing to them at random and squealing...especially liking the doggies.  In hindsight I should have put the doggies in a lower row (they are eye level for Grace but a little too high for Noah).

But I'm happy with how it turned out, and even though I think Kristoffer thought I was a little nutsy at first he seemed to like the end result.

LMW  

No comments: