Thursday, February 23, 2012

February 22, 2012 - Gratitude Journal

I have seen other people do "gratitude journals" on their blogs and have always liked the idea. The impetus to start one here is three-fold: 

1. We have been in transition for over 3 months now, and I have just been a horrible blogger. This makes me sad because I really enjoy blogging. I hope keeping this journal will help my blogging become part of my daily routine once again. And I hope that our Internet in Dar will cooperate once we get there. 

2. I often feel - particularly during transition and also in anticipation of moving to a lesser developed country - that I focus a little too much on the negative or difficult aspects of daily life, instead of being grateful for all of the wonderful things. I hope this journal will help me remember and appreciate the good stuff. 

3. It is Lent and I am once again faced with the notion of "giving up" something, which I have never been a fan of. I understand the purpose of making a sacrifice during Lent and I very much support people trying to get closer to Jesus that way, but I also have not found that giving up something like chocolate, for example, has ever helped me appreciate Jesus' sacrifice in a more meaningful way or has even had any kind of long-term impact on my life. So, instead I try to "do something extra" instead of giving something up. Usually, I do this privately but this year I am starting my gratitude journal online for Lent and hope that by naming or describing something I am grateful for each day, I will honor the spirit of the Lenten season and keep my gratitude alive even beyond Lent. 

Please check out the new "page" on this blog (the fourth tab at the top) to read my new Gratitude Journal!

LMW

No comments: