Top Ten Things You Can Find in Tanzania
10. Malaria (and various other tropical diseases)
9. Tanzanite, the precious gemstone found exclusively here
8. Proper Kishwahili (as opposed to the slang-ish Kenyan version)
7. Around 130 ethnic groups and languages
6. Dar es Salaam, one of the world's largest natural harbors
5. Zanzibar, a famous island getaway
4. Ngorongoro Crater, the largest complete crater in the world
3. The Serengeti National Park, considered to be the best wildlife reserve in all of Africa
2. Mt. Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa
and the #1 thing you can find in Tanzania...as of February/March 2012...
The Welsien Family
Congratulations to Kristoffer on [finally] officially accepting a position with The World Bank in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, where we will be living for the next 2-3 years. Kristoffer will begin working in about 10 days and the rest of us will join him once he finds us a great house (fingers crossed!) and gets all of our stuff from Nairobi. In Kristoffer's gig as Country Officer for the World Bank, he hopes to work with the new Country Director in Tanzania to secure and implement positive, sustainable development solutions in the country. It has been a 9 month+ process from applying for the job in April to signing the paperwork today, and we are very relieved.
We are excited for some new perks of living in Dar, such as greater security and being right on the beach. We are also interested to see how we handle some new challenges, such as insane heat and rampant malaria. Rose, our beloved housekeeper/nanny from Nairobi, will continue working for our family in Dar and we are so thrilled that she'll be with us to assist our transition. Particularly for Grace and Noah, it will be great to have her around for some added consistency in their daily lives.
Making our second logistical move will be easier in many ways than our first time around because we know so, so, so much more than we knew in 2007. But in some ways it was easier last time because it was just the two of us carrying a lot less precious cargo than we have now.
We hope you'll keep reading to learn along with us as we begin our new Life in Dar.