Tuesday, September 6, 2011

September 6, 2011 - Back to School

This little girl went back to school today for her second year at Kyuna Kindergarten.  



A little secret about Grace is that she is actually very shy when she isn't at home with just us.  So she was totally silent and stone-faced when we got to her new classroom with her new teacher, Mrs. Wanyaga (from now on called Mrs. W), and even when she saw many familiar faces from her class last year (Look, there's Isa! Andrew! Matias! Jesse! Hawi! Patrick! Yama! Emmanuel!).  Eventually she gave her "old friends" some high fives but she didn't really relax until I suggested we go back to her old classroom to give Ms. Mbata a big hug.  You could see the tension drain from her body when she walked into her old room.  She was so happy to hug Ms. Mbata and Miss Lucy and told them, "I'm wearing big girl underwear!"  Ms. Mbata told Grace she looked forward to seeing her outside for play time and I think that really made Grace's day.  When we went to her new classroom again she told her new assistant, Miss Alice, that she had to go pee-pee on the potty and happily went off to the toilet with her.  She didn't even cry when I hugged her goodbye (and, surprisingly, neither did I!).

Grace woke up at 5:15 today so I warned Mrs. W that she might be a little sleepy during their whole-school assembly this morning.  But here's hoping she has a great day back to school with her new teacher and many friends, both old and new.

And when Grace is at school in the mornings now, I hope to get a little more one-on-one time with this guy (Unless he's napping, of course, in which case I guess I'll have to have some time for myself.  Twist my arm!):


LMW

No comments: