Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2011 - 14 Cows for America

I have been thinking for a couple of days about what I wanted to write on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.  I kept coming up blank because really, what could I possibly say that would be significant enough?  I have the same emotions of sadness and fear and loss that most other people have about that day; I worked next to Ground Zero for four years, walked by it every day, looked down into it from my classroom.  But everyone has a story or connection to that day, so what could I share that would be meaningful at all?

Then just as I was about to shut down the laptop tonight and go to sleep, a former colleague of mine posted this story on her facebook, about a young Masai man from Kenya who desperately felt that he wanted to do something for America after 9/11, because of all that America had done for him. And he did find a way to gift America what the Masai value most: a cow.  

Because I live in Kenya, because I feel at least a little bit close to the Masai (because Rose is Masai), and because today is 9/11... I think it is the perfect story to share.

It is a long article to read, but very worthwhile.  Especially on a day when you really want to find all the goodness you can in this world; there is goodness here.  The first quote you see on that website reads: 

"Because there is no nation so powerful it cannot be wounded, nor a people so small they cannot offer mighty comfort."  

LMW 

No comments: