Saturday, August 27, 2011

August 27, 2011 - Easy Target

On Thursday night I met two of my friends for dinner (yay for me!).  I took a taxi to get there after the kids were in bed and while stopped at a roundabout, we got hit from behind.  There was no damage to the car and thankfully not much damage to my neck (which I feared big time because I definitely jerked forward quite a bit and I have had whiplash before) BUT the reason for the crash is quite interesting.  In the car behind us, the driver was talking on his cell phone with his window rolled down...and a man just walking by (yes, Kenyans walk on the highway) grabbed the driver's cell phone out of his hand and ran away into the night.  So the driver got really flustered and didn't stop, obviously, when he got close to the taxi I was in.  What have we learned from this? When in Nairobi, do not a) talk on the phone while driving - seriously, drivers are crazy enough when they aren't distracted with a phone call; and b) have your window down all the way at night (even during the day, actually) because if you are in traffic you are then just inviting theft!  It was crazy!  Luckily, I wasn't too late for my dinner and my friends had a glass of wine waiting for me when I got there :)

LMW

No comments: