Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4, 2011 - American

Happy 4th of July, to family and friends at home and other Americans abroad. It is one of those days - like Thanksgiving - where trying to celebrate it in Kenya just rubs in the fact that we aren't in America. Yes, we will eat corn-on-the-cob for dinner tonight, but we won't be at an outdoor BBQ or on the beach (it is "winter" in Nairobi, after all) and we won't see fireworks. It just isn't - and absolutely can't be - the same. Bummer. We have a lovely life, raising these little Danish-Americans here in Nairobi, but on days like today - when Kristoffer goes to work as usual, and Grace to school as usual, and I go food shopping as usual, and nobody is dressed in red, white, and blue - I miss being an American in America.

I hope everyone at home will drink an extra Sam Adams for me and give a few extra "oos" and "ahs" at tonight's fireworks on my behalf.

LMW

No comments: