Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 20, 2011 - Book Review

Bossypants by Tina Fey (2011)
recommended by lots of people

I happen to very much agree with most of what Janet Maslin wrote about this book in her review in the NY Times, so I won't try to recreate the wheel and write too much more.  Much like Fey's TV show "30 Rock", I thought her book was funny, but not quite as funny as I thought it would be.  I did laugh out loud 5 times and especially enjoyed/identified with her later chapters that involve parenting and family stuff.  She had way more messages related to feminism (or rather gender-equality) than I expected, which I liked because it wasn't just a funny book  - there were actual messages inside it!  And the details of Tina-Fey-as-Sarah-Palin were themselves worth buying the book for.  I'd say it is a great beach read this summer (unless you are having winter in Nairobi, in which case I recommend reading it in your wool socks while your baby is teething and awake all night).   

LMW

No comments: