Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 19, 2010 - Getting Big

Yesterday Grace had three firsts.

The first first was standing up in her crib. Yikes! I'm glad we did her hardcore sleep training (remember, 3 hours of crying in the middle of the night last week?) before she could stand up in her crib or else it might have gone a lot worse. Kristoffer said to me this morning, "she is standing up in her crib...she looks so tall!" It's true: this little baby of ours is slowly but surely becoming a little girl.

Another very "little girl" thing Grace did yesterday was have her first temper tantrum in the grocery store. The long and the short of it is that Grace was in the shopping cart and started taking apart a package of mushrooms that apparently she wanted to eat right then. When I took them away from her (assuming that she prefers her mushrooms cooked and knowing that they needed to be washed) and hid the package under some other groceries, she started furiously pointing behind her to where I hid the mushrooms and SCREAMING. A guy buying bananas nearby yelled down the aisle, "I think she wants those!" Yeah...I got that, thanks. I tried to distract her with other items in the cart that she couldn't tear open, but to no avail. She did stop crying eventually, but remained grumpy until we got home. I showed her the package of mushrooms, took one out, washed it, and gave it to her to eat. She smiled this crazy smile as if to say, "See Mom...if you had done that an hour ago all of this could have been avoided." She took one big bite out of the mushroom and promptly spit it out. Bite two, spit it out. Bite three, spit it out. No more bites. In addition to her first tantrum, I think Grace also had her first "I hate it when my mother is right" moment.

My friend Jen's theory is that all public temper tantrums start in the grocery store and in that moment yesterday, I had a flash back to the summer of 2004 when Kristoffer and I babysat my brother's kids for a week while he and his wife were celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary. We were doing a little grocery shopping one day and my oldest nephew, Matthew (age 6 at the time, almost age 13 now!), had a serious temper tantrum about a kind of cereal he wanted that we wouldn't buy him. The end result was that Kristoffer carried him sideways out of the grocery store screaming at the top of his lungs, if I recall correctly, that he hated me. Knowing that yesterday with Grace was only the start of many future temper tantrums to come, I fondly remembered the days of 8 short months ago when she would sleep in her car seat for 2 hours and I could go to the store, do all of my shopping, stop for a croissant and tea break before coming home, unload all of the groceries and check my email before she woke up.
Those days are LONG gone. She is definitely getting big.
LMW

No comments: