Thursday, September 10, 2009

September 10, 2009 - Six Month Checkup

Grace visited Dr. Nesbitt this morning for her 6 month check up. The best part of having the first appointment of the day is not having to wait forever to see the doc! The worst part about having the first appointment of the day is that when your baby has been awake since 5 am, 9:30 is when she wants to go back to sleep and when she gets woken up to be measured and weighed, she isn't too happy :(

Waking her up aside, Grace had a great trip to the doctor's and loved it even more since she didn't need any shots this time. She weighed in at 7 kg/15.4 lbs and is 66 cm/26 in long (a little under 50% percentile). On the 6-month developmental check-list, Grace scored nearly perfect. She is not able to get into crawling position yet (and shows no interest in doing so, which is OK by me!) which is the only thing on the list she can't do, and the doctor says that most babies can't get into crawling position at 6 months either. We'll hope she gets there for her 8 month check up in November.

We had a good discussion about Grace's eating habits: she is doing well and gaining weight at an average pace which means we can keep on doing what we are doing. She now eats 3 "solid" meals a day combining fruit, veggies and cereals, and will continue on mostly smooth (pureed) foods until closer to 8 months. We also discussed the sleep issues we are having with Grace. She is still great at going to sleep but after 5 or 6 hours she is not staying asleep (which means she wakes up between 12 and 1 am); once she wakes up that first time she continues to wake up frequently. I have not been feeding her until she hits the 9 hour mark (so around 4 am) but he thinks this is a bad idea. His suggestion is that when she wakes up at 1 am I should feed her for a fixed amount of time - say 10 or 15 minutes. Every time she wakes up stick to that time. The next night lower it to 8 minutes, and then the next night 6 minutes, etc. He says he has had a lot of experience with this method working - including with at least one of his two kids. So I guess we'll try it tonight and see if that helps.

I admit that in the last four days I am more tired than I have been in awhile. She has not been sleeping well and, for example, was wide awake for the day starting at 5 am. She is also a terrible napper right now and will only sleep in the car or for 10-20 minutes at a time two or three times a day. This means that I can't nap either and don't have a lot of time to myself to get things done around the house. Welcome to the real world, Lisa! I think my biggest concern is just that she isn't getting enough sleep, but the doctor didn't seem concerned. We also discussed fluoride because there are no bottled waters in Kenya with the right amount of fluoride for a baby so when I go to the US in October I will get some fluoride drops to add to the bottled water that doesn't have enough. She also needs to be taking Vitamin D but you can't get a great baby vitamin here so I will get that when I go home too.

He was very pleased and liked how much she was babbling. I think she gets her talkative side from me?

Grace is a happy, active baby and we are very proud of well she is doing.

In this picture, taken yesterday, she couldn't look more like a red head or more like an old woman with osteoporosis and pants up to her armpits.
In the last week I have had 6 different women tell me that Grace looks "so Scandinavian" and two of them didn't even know that she is Danish! She looks much more blond in person than in pictures but I am hoping that the strawberry blond color of her hair sticks because it is so cute!

And writing this blog has been a real treat because it is mid-day on a Thursday and we shouldn't have electricity but for some reason we do! So before Grace's current nap (thank you) ends I should go get some other stuff done.

Cheers to having a healthy six month old!
LMW

1 comment:

Katherine Andersen said...

These pictures are SO cute! Grace is absolutely adorable. I'm so glad to hear she's doing well. We can't wait to see you both in October!