Wednesday, January 28, 2009

January 28, 2009 - Baby Doctor Round 2

Before delving into the details of the doctors, I have to say that last night's lamaze class was much better than the first class. There was still a lot of the mid-wife asking questions that most people felt too uncomfortable to answer aloud, but this week's mid-wife was much better than last week's. The whole class was about the three stages of labor (pre-pushing, that is), what mothers might feel physically and emotionally, what both the mother's body and the baby's body are doing during labor, how partners can help mothers, when to go to the hospital, etc. In other words, it was about "game day" details which is what we have been looking for, and it did include a lot of useful and new information. The two hours went by pretty quickly and, even though we were so tired before the class that we really didn't want to go, we were happy we did. There were only two moments of minor panic for me and Kristoffer:

1. The mid-wife said that it is "safe for the baby" if labor begins any time after 36 weeks...at which point we both looked at each other and said, "that's next week!" A few of the other couples noted our reaction and thought it was a little bit funny...they, of course, are only at 23 weeks right now. I think at 38 weeks we will be ready, but next week might be pushing it a bit for us!

2. The mid-wife also said that we won't be discussing pain management options until the 5th class (3 more weeks!) and should the above come true (labor shortly after 36 weeks) we wouldn't make it to that class! The mid-wife agreed to bring us the notes from the pain management class next week so that we can have them ahead of time and use them to complete our birth plan. We are hoping to get to the 5th class anyway!

So, lamaze class for the week: check. And today I interviewed two more pediatricians. I have to admit, I liked them both for different reasons and looking at all three doctors had anticipated a much clearer "winner", thinking that I would find one doctor I instinctively liked the best, rather than 3 doctors with different yet equally redeeming good qualities. Of course tonight I will spill all of the details to Kristoffer - my pros and cons of each doctor - and see if he will weigh in on the decision, but at the end of the day good old medical insurance might help make the decision for us because I don't believe all three of them participate in our insurance company (which I just discovered this afternoon). If that is the case, then it is good to feel comfortable with any of the three. Generally, I do think this hospital provides good care and that all three doctors were of very high quality and standards.

Today I also ordered custom-sized mattresses for Simba's cradle and crib, which is another thing to check off the list, but am still hunting for some key baby supplies, such as a changing table pad and sheets for the new mattresses (I think I'll have to go custom on those too but haven't figured out where I can do that yet). It is a good thing I am not working full time because I have a lot more things to do than I thought I would. At the same time, I am still doing a little bit of work for UNICEF to wrap up something from last year...but I have to admit that my heart is not really in it at all and I can't wait for it to be over.

To get back to lamaze class for a minute, the reason I was so tired before going last night is because I am not sleeping well at all anymore and on Monday night I really only caught 4 1/2 hours of solid sleep. My sister would tell me that my body is getting me ready for sleepless nights with a newborn (which I think is a raw deal...I should be allowed to get as much sleep as possible pre-newborn, right?), which might be true, but that doesn't make it anymore fun! Last night, for example, I woke up every hour on the hour to go to the bathroom for 6 straight hours in a row. I have been used to 2 or 3 bathroom trips a night for the entire pregnancy, but last night reached a new high, "even for you", as Kristoffer said to me this morning. I basically give up on sleeping between 6 and 7 in the morning, but by 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon (right about now, actually) I am desperately in need of a nap.

In fact, I think that about wraps up this blog and I will take a nap right now.

LMW

No comments: