Monday, January 26, 2009

January 26, 2009 - Baby Doctor Round 1

Simba is doing somersaults these days - I don't think s/he can figure out which way to settle, so sometimes his/her head is up and sometimes it is down. I am hoping that one of these days s/he will stop flipping, pick a spot and stay put (preferably head down) because the gymnastics are not so comfortable for me. It is getting harder for me to sleep long stretches at night without having to rotate my own position and, of course, go to the bathroom. Good news is that my leg cramps are a lot better, even if the rest of me is more uncomfortable. We have another checkup this week on Friday afternoon with my doctor.

To keep up with the active little one, I began my search for a pediatrician today. I had two appointments, but one of them was cancelled because the doctor was too busy with sick babies to meet with me. I can certainly appreciate that the babies are more important than a list-full-of-questions-bearing-potential-future-patient's mother. So I will meet that doctor and a third doctor on Wednesday morning. From three interviews, I hope to find one doctor that is a good fit for us.

The doctor I did meet with today was very nice; she reminded me a lot of my obstetrician in that she is very calm and relaxed and answers questions very thoroughly. Her medical training took place in Russia, actually, and she did her internship at our hospital here in Nairobi. She has been a practicing pediatrician for 14 years and in private practice for about 5 years. While she is a general pediatrician, she is currently doing a fellowship for a sub-specialty in pediatric endocrinology. She easily and comfortably answered all of my questions about the baby traveling, vaccinations, making appointments, etc. and she also said that she appreciates when parents come with their questions written down because it usually makes the parents calmer and appointments go smoother. I was happy that she wasn't turned off by my polite grilling! The only hitch with her is that for her fellowship she will have limited office hours in May, June and July and I am not sure that I am very comfortable only having access to her in the evenings and on Saturdays. Of course, we will also be away for the month of June so maybe it isn't that big of a deal. As much as I liked her, I am happy that I will have two other doctors to whom I can compare her before deciding.

Kristoffer and the guys had a great climb up and around Mt. Longonot yesterday and I had a girls day with my friend Stephanie. All is well in Nairobi - despite the immense afternoon heat - and I am now in my 35th week of pregnancy. I can't even express how excited I am getting to meet Simba!

LMW

No comments: