Monday, November 10, 2008

November 10, 2008 - Keeping the Pace

There was a news story released yesterday saying that many headphones for iPods and other MP3 players can cause cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators to go a little crazy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN0940463220081109

Because I have already received a few emails from people asking me about this, I thought I would post that I never talk on my cell phone on the left side of my body (pacemaker side) for the same reason, and I don't ever have my iPod headphones close to my heart. I should be OK in terms of this new concern. People who are more pacemaker-dependent than I am (like really old people or people with stronger arrhythmias than mine) are at greater risk of such a thing causing a problem than I am.

I use my pacemaker a small percentage of the time, although it will be very interesting when I see my cardiac surgeon in NYC next month for a 6-month post-op check-up to find out if I have been using my pacemaker more during my pregnancy than I used to. It is likely for women to become more susceptible to heart rate drops, low blood pressure or blood sugar, and fainting spells when they are pregnant; this is why I am very grateful that I had my surgery and got a brand new pacemaker before I became pregnant. It is an added insurance policy for sure!

LMW

No comments: