Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April 29, 2008 - SURPRISE!

SURPRISE - I am home in America! I didn't tell my parents that I was coming home and when I showed up at their front door yesterday afternoon (after travelling for 25 hours or so) they could not have been more (happily) surprised. A special, special thank you to my friend Kate for picking me up at the airport in Boston and driving me to Plymouth.
I basically came home for this visit on our tax rebate (thank you, George W. Bush...wow, never said that before) and because I have a few weeks of nothing to do in between my volunteer contract at UNICEF and my paid contract which is scheduled to start on May 19th. I think I win for best early mother's day and father's day gifts! I will spend the next 2 weeks visiting my family and friends in Boston and New York. I'm quite sorry that I won't be able to travel more and see everyone I know and love in the US, but hopefully I can at least talk to many people on a much cheaper phone call. My trip was very smooth - from Nairobi to London, a 6 hour layover in London, and then from London to Boston. On my second flight I was upgraded to Business Class which was SUCH a treat! Let's hope that happens again :) Kristoffer is also really, really busy at work so, while we will miss each other, he was extremely encouraging and supportive of this trip (he even talked me into it!).
The other amazing news I can very happily report is that yesterday I recieved a final judgement from T-Mobile regarding the phone bill for $7,000 that I have been protesting because my sim card was stolen in Nairobi. T-Mobile agreed to absorb the entire bill!!! The battle is over, thanks to many, many people in NYC who were petitioning T-Mobile on my behalf, and I have never been more relieved in my life. It was a hard lesson to learn, but believe me when I say that we are a lot more cautious in Nairobi since that happened.
Kristoffer is back in Kenya working hard and I am on a very happy vacation here. If you want me to call you, please email me your phone number because I lost all of my numbers when my sim card was stolen. You can also call me at my parents' house if you have that number, or email me and I will send it to you!
LMW

No comments: