Tuesday, February 19, 2008

February 19, 2008 - Safari Pictures




To the left is a picture of the city from inside the park. When you are really inside the park you can't really tell that you are also on the outskirts of a major city but from the edges of the park it is obvious.







This is a picture of a guinea fowl, which are very common birds here and are very funny. They run around like crazy.














This is the stunning view from the observation point where we ate our picnic lunch.





To the left, you can see the baboon around the other car that was there. We were driving away at this point, having just shaken a baboon off our side view mirror, but you can see there is still one large baboon on the back window of the other car. It was really loving the back windshield wipers. You can see 3 or 4 others on the ground, and there were 2 or 3 really large ones that had already moved further away.







This is one of the beautiful zebra we saw up close.












This is the mother monkey who is holding her suckling baby. This tree was very close to the road and our car, and she was definitely starting us down!











I left my animal book at home but I think this is an eland. If it isn't an eland, than it is some other kind of large antelope (of which we saw many!).










I always think that each giraffe I see is the biggest one I have ever seen, but that can't possibly be true. We watched this one walking around for quite awhlie. He walked to us from much further away and eventually crossed the "road" behind our car.








Giraffes are funny because when they see you they will often stand completely still. This giraffe is thinking, "If I don't move, they'll never know I'm here!" I think they don't realize how tall they are.






One of these days we will figure out how to put video up on the blog. It will be cool to share the footage of the crazy baboons and some of the zebra.
LMW

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kris- your eland is a waterbuck - Nic

Anonymous said...

Dear friends.
We enjoy reading your blog, look upon it almost every day to get some news. And you have really until now chosen some very important events of your new country. And of mankind: Why is our surface of kindness, democracy and understanding so thin. And why are there so much hate, violence and lack of trust just underneath?

But can I ask for something else: I would like to know about your everyday: How is the landscape? Is it flat, hilly, dry full of trees or what?
How is the roads in town- full of traffic, yes, but where are people walking? Is there sidewalks. How is the pavement ?
What do you eat, when you do not visit a restaurant? Which fruit, vegetable,meat can you buy at the markets?
Are you cold in the mornings? Do you need a lot of clothes (What do you wear, when it is 80 degrees?)
Is there animals in the town, in your house, in your kitchen (sorry).
I'll be back with more questions, I am interested in everything.

Gert the uncle

Anonymous said...

We are so pleased that you were able to go back on safari at long last ! Loved the story about the monkeys which sounded real fun and excitement ! Hope the job is going well for Lisa. We don't seem to have Kenya as hot news this days which would indicate that things have calmed down hugely and at last, some reconstructions can start over all the poor souls. Monique. xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Mueller, it's me Paloma!!! YEAHHHH...
I've watched videos and of course read some articles, not all, but some on the New York Times website about what's happening in Kenya and everything seems pretty scary. It's frightening to think that as you find hope in Africa through Kenya and it's prosperous economy and so on something as horrifying can happen so out of the blue. From my non-expert opinion and with high hopes I hope that the parties do somehow come to an agreement and that all of the chaos can finally come to an end somehow.
It's so weird how tribal, racial, or ethnic divisions can so randomly ruin our lives. It's sad to see how in many ways these artificial divisions can so quickly destroy people's lives and well-being. I don't understand why the world has to work this way. Why can't we just all get along? Yes, I tend to be a little idealistic sometimes, more than I want to be. I just think that so many wars and violence is caused by these divisions between skin color, or tribal identities when in the end we're all just human beings who pursue mostly the same things in life.
Anyhow, I am so glad that you and my man are okay. I figured anyway that probably where you life there is not as much chaos. I am so happy that you guys are exploring Kenya a lot and I love all of your pictures. It must be so surreal being so up close and personal with all of those gorgeous animals. Personally I would be too scared to get so close to any wild animals, but it seems like you guys have been pretty brave.
As far as the traffic goes, since you mentioned it a lot in the blog, haha it reminds me a lot of DR. That's exactly how it is in the capital city. Well now most streets have very little ditches and holes but the traffic is hell. People are always crashing and it always takes 400 hours to get from one place to the other.
Hope all is well and we miss you here in New York.
Lots of kisses and hugs,
Paloma

Anonymous said...

It's Paloma, I just forgot to ask: Are you working? Did you get a job at any of the international schools that you were looking into? I haven't read all of your blogs so maybe you have, but whatever it's easier for me just to ask.
Hasta Luego

Omar said...

Love when you share pics...
try to add more pics of your everyday "excitement"...like you watching Season 3 of 24, or Kristoffer cooking carrots, you know?

miss u